Tuesday 7 August 2012

the great croissant battle

Last week I found a recipe for croissants. I was so excited as I have never made croissants before! Knowing that I would be up late that night doing assignments, I set to work on getting the basic dough together. 

You see unlike anyone else I know, I get bored and simply bake. I am not into cooking things that are quick and easy either I love to cook things that have many specific steps that I can master. I am funny like that, I love precision. 

Anyway, the next night I popped the croissants in the oven... yum!


They were delicious! but not quite right. They didn't rise up enough, and didn't unravel the way that a croissant does. It's winter here, and the dough didn't rise enough in the first rise which probably was the cause of the not quite fluffy texture of my croissants.

But, yes... I cannot let a recipe beat me! I must master the croissant! So on Friday I got out my mate sunny, who is quite good at making me amazing pizza dough because he is awesome at creating the right temperature for rising dough.



 I set him to make pizza dough but put my croissant ingredients in. I had to change the recipe a little, as I also felt the quantities weren't quite right on the recipe I had found.

The result was perfectly fluffy, delicious dough that was so easy to work. Thanks Sunny!!


The thing about making croissants is that they take a long time to make! It took me a whole day to get my dough ready to the stage above where I got to roll it into those little crescents, and even then they weren't ready to go into the oven! Oh but into the oven they eventually went and mmm...


 Delicious, fluffy croissants that unraveled beautifully when I pulled the ends.

These croissants took me 8(ish) hours to get ready to bake, and then they take about 10minutes to cook after that. So they are a long-haul, many steps, precision, ahh just my style!

What have you been baking this week?

I'd love to know!

No comments: